LIVER - SYMPTOMS, DIAGNOSIS & TESTS
Any condition that damages the liver and prevents it from functioning well.
- Hepatitis - a viral infection of your liver. It causes inflammation and liver damage, making it difficult for your liver to function as it should.
- Cancer - Liver cancers first develop in your liver. If cancer starts elsewhere in the body but spreads to the liver, it's called metastatic liver cancer.
- Cirrhosis - Cirrhosis refers to scarring that results from liver diseases and other causes of liver damage, such as alcohol abuse.
- Liver failure - Generally, liver failure related to liver disease and cirrhosis happens slowly. You may not have any symptoms at first.
- Abdominal pain and swelling
- Swelling in the legs and ankles
- Itchy skin
- Dark colored urine
- Pale stool color, or bloody or tar-colored stool
- Chronic fatigue
- Nausea or vomiting
- Loss of appetite
- Tendency to bruise easily
- Sharing needles
- Being overweight
- Exposure to toxins or pesticides
- Taking certain supplements or herbs, especially in large amounts
- Mixing certain medications with alcohol or taking more than the recommended dose of certain medications.