Living a healthy life and enjoying a fit & strong body isn’t just reserved for those who spend hours at the gym and go for an early morning run.
Research continues to reveal that a simple 30-minute brisk walk can increase your heart and lung fitness, reduce your body fat percentage, and boost muscle strength and endurance. Walking also reduces the risk of developing diseases like type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and osteoporosis.
Whether you choose to go for a quick walk before you start your busy day, or you prefer a calm walk once you’re back from work – here’s why a 30-minute brisk walk is a great exercise…
1. Weight management. Walking is a low intensity, gentle form of cardiovascular exercise, which helps increase your metabolism. If your metabolism is high, you will burn more calories at rest and during activity. Research shows that walking keeps people from gaining any additional weight associated with ‘inactivity’.
2. Healthy organs. Walking increases your heart rate, strengthens heart muscles, and increases blood circulation, ensuring that oxygen continuously flows throughout your body, allowing your organs to function well. In fact, according to The Heart Foundation – walking for 30 minutes every day can reduce your risk of heart disease and stroke by up to 35% and risk of type 2 diabetes by up to 40%.
3. Good mood, increased creativity and no anxiety & stress. Psychologists found that a 10-minute walk can be just as good as a 45-minute workout when it comes to relieving the symptoms of anxiety. Walking allows you to refresh your mind and reconnect with yourself & your surroundings – causing an increase in your level of creativity, productivity and happiness.
4. Build muscle & joint strength. A brisk walk everyday will lead to great muscle strength, especially in the muscles of your legs – your calves, quadriceps, hamstrings and gluteal muscles. In fact, if you struggle with moving around due to joint stiffness, actively walking for 20-30 minutes can also help loosen your muscles surrounding the joints. Research shows that walking can help prevent bone diseases like osteoporosis.
5. Most importantly – a (relatively) low effort, low intensity, easy-to-sustain path to fitness. When it comes to fitness, sometimes the best workout you can do is the one that you’ll stick to in the long run! There are massive benefits to any form of physical activity if performed regularly. Walking is a relatively low effort way to stay fit – making it easy to sustain in the long run. You require no special training or equipment – just a pair of sneakers and a space to walk. You can make walking fun by taking a friend along with you, talking on the phone, or listening to your favorite music and podcasts while you walk your way to a healthy body and mind.
ABOUT ASSURE PATHLABS
Assure Pathlabs was founded by Dr. Sanjay Wadhwa and Dr. Lovely Razdan in 2015. At Assure the belief is that every man, woman, and child should benefit from advances in healthcare – regardless of where they live. It is this belief that drives our commitment to develop and deliver unique health innovations that respond to the specific and tangible needs of vulnerable communities.
At Assure Pathlabs you can rely on customers receiving efficient service, helpful advice, respect, support and care, as well as the highest standards of medical expertise.